What is HypnoBirthing™?
HypnoBirthing™is a tried and proven method that guides and prepares a woman in giving birth in a peaceful and extraordinarily beautiful manner. It is a program a that considers the psychological, as well as the physical, well-being of the mother, her birth partner, and the newborn, independent of context, whether that be in the quiet of a home, a hospital, or a birth center.
The HypnoBirthing™ program is built around an educational process that includes special breathing, relaxation, visualization, meditative practice, attention to nutrition and positive body toning. Most importantly it fosters an air of mutual respect for the birthing family, as well as the health-care provider in a traditional health-care system or an alternative setting.
The HypnoBirthing™ Premise
For most of their lives, women have been inundated with the negative stories of other women’s birth experiences. Everyone, from their mothers, sisters, aunts, cousins, friends, and even strangers, wants to tell them the horrors of giving birth. They have been conditioned to believe that excruciating pain is associated with labor; and because of this, women today hold an unprecedented fear of giving birth. This extreme fear causes their bodies to become tense, and that tension prohibits their bodies from easily performing a normal physiological function. The result is exactly what they feared most–long, painful birthing or unnecessary intervention.
People who are drawn to HypnoBirthing™ have long been searching for a way to give birth confidently and as calmly, safely, and gently as possible, whether they have chosen to birth in a hospital, a birthing center, or at home. Until HypnoBirthing™, this kind of birthing almost seemed unattainable for the general population.
Through a very simple program of self-hypnosis and education, healthy, low-risk women, as well as women who need medical assistance because of special circumstances, learn to dismiss fear-based stories, misinformation, and birthing myths; and they are helped to see birth as normal. They learn to trust that their bodies know how to bring their babies into the world in the calm and gentle way that Nature intended.
In HypnoBirthing Mongan Method courses we take a lot of time and care to discuss your birthing companions, and your birthing environment. We empower your birthing companions to be a key component of your birthing day ensuring the birthing mothers feel cared for and nurtured during the whole labour. Birthing is heavily influenced not only by how we feel but how others treat us.
The Benefits of HypnoBirthing™
Here are some of the things you'll learn that are not covered in most HypnoBirthing antenatal classes:
- Breathing techniques that actually help the birth (and it's not the panting that most people think they have to do. Think about it - why would anyone want to hyperventilate during labour?)
- How to massively reduce the need for any medication at all
- How to reduce your risk of needing an episiotomy during birth with a stunningly simple massage technique
- How to be confident and informed when dealing with the medical staff - when to question, what to ask...and when it's time to let them take charge
- How to release any fears you might have about childbirth...regardless of where they come from
- How to bring about your own easy start of labour with these simple, natural techniques, if you go beyond your "estimated due date"
- Most importantly, you'll know how to relax and stay calm and in control - regardless of what's happening around you
Additional benefits that have been reported by mums include:
- Considerably shorter labour and birthing
- Signficantly fewer surgical births
- High number of comfortable, natural births with no technological assistance
- A high rate of success in assisting breech-presented babies to turn into appropriate birthing position with the use of posture and hypnosis (in a study done at the University of Vermont of 100 women at 37 to 40 weeks, there was a 81% success rate with hypnosis)
- Highly energized mums in good spirits following births that are calm and gentle
- You'll learn the techniques once for this birth, but then you can then use them again and again, no matter how many children you have
- HypnoBirthing techniques work very effectively with home births, water births, hospital births, birthing centres...whatever. It's your choice what kind of birth to have - HypnoBirthing helps them all.
- You can use the techniques to help calm and relax yourself any time you feel stressed out...(we've had many couples tell us this alone has been invaluable!)
Click here to see Research and Statistics.
What you'll learn through HypnoBirthing is how you can confidently approach a safe, easier and more comfortable natural birth.
We can't promise you a 'perfect' birth - no one can - but we can promise you a much, much more comfortable and relaxed birth than you would have had otherwise.
Benefits for babies:
We find that babies born using HypnoBirthing tend to be calmer, feed better, sleep better and experience less trauma, because they are gently and calmly breathed into the world at their own pace.
Scientific research has also shown that the babies usually have higher Agpar scores as well (a measure of how well your baby is doing immediately after the birth, and then five minutes later).
Benefits for dads:
Instead of your husband or partner being a helpless onlooker, they become a central part of the birthing process, helping you to stay calm and focussed on the techniques you've been taught. As a result, the fathers feel proud to have been able to help, and to be an active part of the birth. Imagine how close that makes them feel to you and the baby!
All Mongan Method HypnoBirthing™UK Practitioners will have the Gold Seal on their websites. The Gold Seal guarantees that they are fully approved and certified by the original HypnoBirthing Institute, which means you can have the security of knowing they will teach you the official HypnoBirthing – The Mongan Method programme, in a format that ensures you have the best chance of achieving a wonderful birth with all the preparation designed to help and support you
HypnoBirthing™ UK Classes are taught in a format of five, 2 1/2-hour classes, in order for the techniques to be thoroughly taught, learned and practised by couples. Classes are taught in evenings or at the weekend. If you are very near to your birthing time, occasionally your Practitioner can make special arrangements for individual classes with you.